If you’ve updated iTunes to the version 12.7 or later you may have dificulties when trying to set custom ringtones. The well-known Ringtones section has been removed, but you can still transfer and copy ringtones to your iPhone or iPad using iTunes 12.7. Here is how can you do that.
Add Custom Ringtones using iTunes 12.7 and above
- Launch iTunes on your computer. (Make sure it is version 12.7 or above.)
- Connect your iPhone to the computer via the lightning usb cable (or Wi-Fi).
- Once iTunes recognizes your iDevice, click on it to select it (see the picture below).
- Click on the Summary tab in the left panel
- On the right, under the Options section, check the box Manually manage videos. (You need this checkbox ticked if you want to be able to delete custom ringtones.)
- Now, click the Tones section on the left panel. (If there is not a Tones section, just continue with the next step, while keeping your iDevice selected in iTunes.)
- Launch Finder on Mac or Windows Explorer on PC, and locate the .m4r ringtone file(s) you want to copy/transfer to the iPhone or iPad.
- Drag and drop the .m4r ringtone file(s) of your choice into iTunes. The tones section will appear once you drag the files into iTunes if it’s not already visible. (This will copy the files to your iDevice.)